Queensland Roadtrip – Days 66-67

Golden Beach to Kingscliff

This was the day we left Queensland and continued south into New South Wales. To avoid peak hour in Brisbane we left about 9:30. This meant we would be passing through Brisbane about 10:30. Things were going well until we reached a point where the freeway split. Unfortunately we were in the wrong lane and towing a caravan means you can’t just quickly change lanes. The navigation system in the hilux did a quick recalculation and we continued making our way through Brisbane but on some less major roads. After about ten minutes we were in a position to join the M3.

Soon after we crossed over the Brisbane River.

Things were going to plan again. However it soon became apparent lots of others were doing the same thing and we found ourselves in a traffic jam.

After about twenty minutes of stop, start driving the traffic began to quicken but it still took about forty five minutes to cross the border into New South Wales.


From that point it only took us about 15 minutes to reach our destination, the Ingenia Holidays Kingscliff caravan park.

(Distance travelled – 210 kms)

Once we were booked in and set up we ate lunch. From the caravan park it was a short drive into the town itself. First up we visited the Tourist information Centre and found out about dog friendly walking spots. Just across the carpark was the Cudgen Headland Surf Life Saving Club. Outside it were this pair of wooden sculptures.

Next up was a quick trip to the supermarket to buy a few things for the next couple of days. One of the recommended beaches for dog walking was on the route back so we parked nearby and headed along a path towards the beach.

Arriving at the beach a very noticable sign showed us it was leash free to the left

so off we went. There were quite a few other dog walkers. Needless to say Mel was happy to run around with a couple of small dogs while we had a quick chat with their owners.

Dinner was a barbecue cooked on the shared barbecue.

Sadly the weather the next morning was not good. Eventually it cleared so we drove to the nearby bakery at Chinderah, Cubby Bakehouse. After ordering a couple of hot chocolates and cakes to take away

we headed off along the path bordering the Tweed River for a short walk.

We lunched back at the caravan and most of the afternoon was spent reading due to the weather but things cleared up late in the afternoon so we drove down to the leash free beach at Kingscliff North. Mel enjoyed another good run. Here is a view looking south to Kingscliff

and in this shot I managed part of a rainbow.

Hopefully the weather would be better as we moved on again down to Emerald Beach.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s